Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Zip Lines and River Trips!






The entire staff of Playa Hermose lined up on the driveway to bid us farewell as our tour bus pulled out on our way to the Avenal Volcano. After crossing the lake, we took the tram up to...well, I don't know "up to" what, but high, and into the clouds! Then we were all outfitted with the appropriate equipment and given the appropriate instruction (take off and landing positions; what to do "in case" as in, in case you get stuck before you get to the landing platform!) and prepared to zip line down! One by one we descended, platform to platform, ultimately going along 9,000 feet of line descending 4,100 feet... The kids (and some of the adults) found it great good fun. I kept asking myself, "What the hell are you doing?" - but, once "in" there was no way out but via the line, so down I went. It wasn't that I found it frightening - I was just so busy trying to remember the instructions that I couldn't relax and enjoy the ride! Still, I can say I was proud to have done it! Today we spent on the river. We've seen Jesus Christ lizards (the inspiration for Jurassic Park), iguanas, poison dart frogs, crocodiles, lots of birds, an armadillo and a sloth, and tons of howler monkeys, some of whom protested our invasion of their territory by pooping and peeing on us in our boats! It's been a fun day! Tomorrow we're of to Tortuguero...

No comments: