Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Cruise, Day Three: Budapest





To bed late - but up early, because we had a new city to explore! Two contrasting encounters with people/local culture: one, a toothless old man kept plucking at me, trying to get us to follow him so he could show us something (all communicated with gestures - no English involved on his part, and certainly no Hungarian on ours!). He wanted us to see the beautiful glass ceiling in a building (pictured here) housing numerous small shops. Then, of course, he rubbed his fingers together for a tip, and said, "for coffee..." (cost of photo: 2 euros!) Later, walking along the streets, we passed an ice cream shop with an amazing window display of - ice cream (pictured here)! Naturally Ray and I began reminiscing about the times when we were kids and would go into Kaiserslautern and eat (forbidden) German ice cream, and of course I had to taste the czech version (very similar to my memory!)... The woman at the counter handed me a small scoop - and then took the cone back and added a second scoop and gave it back to me - and wouldn't allow me to pay her for it. (Taste of ice cream and nostalgia: free) Now we're aboard the ship, having had our first "pampered meal" - which included an appetizer of pumpkin/smoked trout/caviar salad, among other things - and are about to give Ray his "crying towel" - the culmination (?!) of our pre-trip trash-talking! More Budapest tomorrow...

1 comment:

jovaliquilts said...

That's a beautiful glass ceiling! Wow! Though I have to say I would probably find the ice cream as memorable (even without the German memories) just because ice cream is totally wonderful. :)
Hope the trip continues to be every bit as much fun!