Monday, August 1, 2011

Lost Valley Ranch






Coco and I arrived at Lost Valley Ranch in the afternoon, and our first order of business (after checking out the porch swing in front of our cabin) was to get fitted for her saddle. It's a beautiful ranch west of Denver in the Rockies (at 8,000 feet we're a little winded even just walking to our cabin!)... There are 23 families here - 14 "repeats" (some on the third generation) and 9 new. I can see why - they have really organized things to make it "first class"! Coco was a bit overwhelmed at first, even wanting me to go on the children's ride with her ("But I don't even know how to ride!" I protested. "Shouldn't I take a lesson first?!" but she assured me that she could teach me!) They have a full time children's program here, and each group (Coco is in the 6 - 7 year old group, which has five children in it) has a full time "child supervisor" and wrangler who are very good at working with thekids.. They have been very good at weaning her away from me (although today I had to promise to be in the corral when she returns from her ride, but I think she'll soon let go of that requirement)... We did have a bit of trauma last night when she discovered a spider in thebedroom, but fortunately I had some bug spray and we made an bug free perimeter around her bed with insect repellant and she was happy! It's a beautiful ranch, with a nice pool, tennis courts, a playground, lots of green spaces, several corrals, and five dogs, all of which she wants to adopt! (She thinks they could live with me, and when I protest no room, no yard, no desire, they belong to the ranch, she has an answer for everything!)

No comments: